Monday, October 7, 2013

Would You Get Out of the Way?

Would you get out of the way?  This question sounds so rude, but it can be freeing to complete the request. What if we moved our selfish pride, fears, and ‘stuff’ out of the way between us and God? Would we be able to see more clearly and breathe better?

"Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely." (I Cor. 13:12 NLT)

Being that I am due to deliver a baby any day, my sisters came to help me complete the many tasks still on my list. My list quickly became obsolete, when these outsiders to my home invaded. They were on a mission of love to see my home run more smoothly, beautifully, and devoid of clutter and excess ‘stuff’ in every room. The task seemed overwhelming to me, but I wanted to help them paint, move furniture, and clean. One sister kept saying, “I love you, but would you get out of the way?” I had given them permission to come in and move out what should not be there, but I was stalling the process by questioning and sifting through every item. It was time to do a deep clean, and there wasn’t room for emotional attachment to stuff. One room went from toys all over the floor, chipped paint and dust bunnies galore to a beautiful color, reminding me of Hawaiian waters, with only sweet and simple decorations. What a pleasant change!

When we ask the Holy Spirit to come in and clean out our ‘stuff’ in our hearts and minds, we must, too, move out of the way. Our prayer, “Holy Spirit, I give you permission to minister to me and create in me a clean heart” is one of true surrender. However, we often find ourselves telling the Spirit of God not to touch or remove certain areas. Sometimes we are slowing the process by asking why. What if we simply gave permission and moved out of the way, allowing the work to happen?

Our own stuff can have such meaning to us. Much of our physical belongings and emotional hang-ups have memories attached to them. It is time for cleansing, simplification, and freedom. Who will ‘get out the way’ with me today? When we have allowed the Holy Spirit to do His work, maybe the result will be far greater than our expectations can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Follow This Blog

Translate